What is tinnitus?
- Tinnitus is a condition, experienced as noises or ringing in the ears or head when no such external physical noise is present
- Tinnitus is usually caused by a fault in the hearing system; it is a symptom, not a disease in itself
Tips to lessen the severity of tinnitus
- Avoid exposure to loud sounds and noises
- Get your blood pressure checked – if it is high, get your doctor’s help to control it
- Decrease your intake of salt
- Avoid stimulants such as coffee, tea, cola, and tobacco
- Exercise daily to improve your circulation
- Get adequate rest and avoid fatigue
- Stop worrying about the noise – recognize that tinnitus is an annoyance and learn to ignore it as much as possible
Can children be at risk for tinnitus?
- Yes, children are at risk too, however, it is not a common complaint
- Like people of all ages, children who are exposed to loud noises are at a higher risk for tinnitus
- High-decibel recreational events, like car races, music concerts, or sports games, can damage children’s ears so earplugs should always be worn
Tinnitus treatment – What can help me cope with tinnitus?
- Concentration and relaxation exercises can help to control muscle groups and circulation throughout the body
- The increased relaxation and circulation achieved by these exercises can reduce the intensity of tinnitus in some patients
- Masking tinnitus with a competing sound at a constant low level, such as a ticking clock, radio static (white noise), or soft music may make it less noticeable
- Tinnitus is usually more bothersome in quiet surroundings
- Hearing aids may reduce tinnitus while you are wearing them and sometimes cause the noise to go away temporarily
- However, a thorough trial before purchase of a hearing aid is advisable if your primary purpose is the relief of tinnitus
- Tinnitus maskers can be combined within hearing aids and emit a competitive but pleasant sound that can distract you from tinnitus – some people find that a tinnitus masker may even suppress the tinnitus for several hours after it is used